8.19.2009

The Flint Hills of Kansas



By Jeff M

Hobbling on my bad ankle, I took the bus out to Big Pasture and took these shots. The hike from the main barn to the scenic overlook is about 3.5 miles one way, or 7 miles round trip. My ankle couldn't take it. Nevertheless, I wanted to go and went, enduring the bounce and jaw-jaw-jaw of the guide. He had some interesting things to say, but I would have preferred to walk and experience the land and its silence alone. The scenic overlook affords visitors sweeping vistas of the land. Approximately 13,000 acres of prairie, touched only by bison and pioneer and the several tribes of Indian (certainly Kansa tribes) that passed through and hunted atop this ancient place. A good place to lie down and let the life pass out of you.

2 comments:

Banjo52 said...

I like this new topic, Jeff--both photos and writing.

Have I already asked if you know of Ian Frazier's book Great Plains and William Least Heat Moon's PraryErth (sic)--a history of one county? Until I read them, I didn't know what a major route old 50 was and is--thought old 40 and I-70 were the whole deal, plus I-80, of course.

Jeff M said...

It was Moon's PrairyErth that inspired me to go, Banjo. I actually found the book at an antique mall in downtown Kansas City. Been in love with it ever since. Glad you liked the topic.