8.13.2009

The Flint Hills of Kansas

By Jeff M

After I wrestled my way out of the tall grasses, I stood and took this photograph, one of my favorites from my visit into the Red House Pasture. Perhaps it is the way in which living specimens, like this black walnut tree, grow alone in the immensity that attracts me so much. There is determination here and a striking display of destiny, as if this belongs here and no where else on earth.

Later that night I would visit the town of Cottonwood Falls, home of one of the oldest functioning courthouses in Kansas. It may even be the oldest. I would also discover what puts the "folk" in folks, the magic in chicken fried steak, the beauty of water served in mason jars and an assembly of musicians who get together each Friday night to play music on Main Street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, these pics do put one in mind of Kansas.